100 metres Training
A training program has to be developed to meet the individual needs of the athlete and take into consideration many factors: gender, age, strengths, weaknesses, objectives, training facilities etc. As all athletes have different needs, a single program suitable for all athletes is not possible. The program supplied here is just an example and will require updates to meet your specific aims and objectives.
Prior to starting any training, it is recommended you have a medical examination to ensure it is safe for you to do so.
Overview of a Training Program
The seasons training plan is based on six phases where each phase comprises of a repeated four-week program. The workload in the first three weeks of the four-week program increase each week (easy, medium, hard) and the fourth week comprises of active recovery and tests to monitor training progress. The aim of the four-week cycles is to:
Remember a training program is athlete specific and the results of the tests in the fourth week can be used to adjust the training in the next four-week cycle to address any limitations.
The content and quantity of training in each week and phase will depend on many factors. The page on Planning provides an insight into the process of data gathering and preparing training programs.
Developing the Energy Systems (100m)
The following table, Winkler & Gambetta (1987), indicates the types of training volumes that can be used to develop the 100 meter sprinter's energy systems and can be used to guide you in the preparation of training programs.
Example Training Plan & Programs
The objective of each phase, with links to examples of a season's training plan and four-week training programs for phases 1, 2 and 3, are as follows:
The content of the four-week programs in phases four and five depends very much on the athlete's progress and competition races. Your aim in these phases is to address any limitations the athlete may have in order to bring him/her to a peak of performance for the major competition in phase five.
The following are links to the appropriate page for the activities identified on the training programs.
The times for both the male and female athletes in the final of the 1992 Olympics 100 metres indicates that the first 20 metres of the race took approx. 30% of their race time and that the remaining time was evenly spread over the remaining 80 metres.
As 20 metres equals 30% (0.3) so the remaining 80 metres equals 70% (0.7) of the race time. As 80 metres equals 0.7 so one metre equals 0.7 ÷ 80 which is 0.00875 of the race time/metre. Based on this information the time for a distance, between 20 and 100 metres, can be determined using the following algorithm:
In the example 100 metre training program the effort the athlete is to apply to each session is indicated in terms of a percentage of the athlete's target personal best (tpb). e.g. 6 x 60 metres at 80% of 100 metres tpb. If the athlete's 100 metre tpb is 10.7 seconds, then what time should he/she run the 60 metres sessions?
Each of the 60 metre runs should be completed in 8.7 seconds
The following evaluation tests can be used to monitor the sprint athlete's development:
Sprint Time Predictors
Based on test results it is possible to predict potential times for a sprint event. The available sprint time predictors are:
Rules of Competition
The competition rules for this event can be obtained from:
If you quote information from this page in your work, then the reference for this page is:
The following Sports Coach pages provide additional information on this topic:
The following books provide more information related to this topic: